Wednesday 12 June 2013

Natrix Natrix ~ Grass Snake in the Orchard


For some bizarre reason when I saw the snake on the track my first thought was that someone had placed a rubber snake there!

I stopped and looked and slowly it dawned upon me that the snake's tongue was moving. About the same time as I realized I was looking at a grass snake, the grass snake realized I was there and slithered off the track into the longer grass.

Great sighting, probably the closest I've ever been to Natrix Natrix the largest species of British snake.

Image (sadly not my own I never seem to have the camera on me at moments like this)  © Copyright John S Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.


1 comment:

  1. Mmm, rather you than me as snakes really do give me the heebie-jeebies! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete