Wednesday 3 April 2013

RHUBARB AND ORANGE CHUTNEY Lionel's recipe






I've mentioned before how lucky I am to have people share their fields of expertise with me, I'm also lucky to have people who are willing to share their delicious family recipes. Here's a seasonal one from Lionel ~


RHUBARB AND ORANGE CHUTNEY

2 Oranges,
1 Kg Prepared Rhubarb,
3 Onions, Skinned and chopped,
900 ml Malt Vinegar,
900 gms Demerara Sugar
450 gms Raisins,
1 tbsp Mustard Seed
1 tbsp Peppercorns
1 tsp Allspice.

Squeeze juice from Oranges and finely shred peel. Place in a large preserving pan with the Rhubard, Onions, Vinegar, Sugar & Raisins. Tie the spices in a piace of muslin, and add ot the ingredients in the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer until thick and pulpy - about 1&half hours. Remove bag, pot and cover.

Makes about 3.6 kg, ready in about 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! If only I didn't have to wait another two years before I can finally pull my rhubarb up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be worth the wait Hannah.

    ReplyDelete